Going through a Odessa divorce can be emotionally and financially draining. On top of the emotional and practical issues you might be dealing with during this difficult time, you might also be asking yourself, should I sell my house or keep my house? The decision to sell or keep your marital home depends on a number of factors.
When Should You Keep Your Home in Odessa?
You should keep your home if:
- You want more stability for your children, especially because uprooting them can adversely affect their mental health and development
- It’s difficult to find a better school district for your children
- You have strong emotional ties to the property
- It’s more expensive to move to a rental or buy a new home
When Should You Sell Your Home in Odessa?
Selling is most likely your best option in the following circumstances:
- You can’t afford to buy out your ex-spouse
- You can’t afford the mortgage payments and upkeep
- You want a clean break
- You want to get enough money to start fresh in a new environment
Selling Your Odessa Home
Ultimately, your family’s situation and finances will determine whether you need to keep or sell your home in Odessa. A lawyer can help you weigh your options so you don’t end up making mistakes that can potentially impact your new life.
If you’ve decided that selling is the best choice for you and your family, remember that you’ll need to wait until the divorce is final and a dissolution order has been issued. Most real estate agents will avoid working with divorcing couples who are still in the argument stages.